So, for those of you who have made my Easy Shell Headband, this is the adjusted version for child sizing. I altered it to fit a child who was around 5-years-old, so if you are looking to make one for preteen children it would be better just to alter the number of chains at the end of the original pattern.
Same rules apply as my other patterns: You are allowed to do whatever you want with items made from this pattern (because it is free on the internet and I obviously can't stop you). Sell them, donate them, give them to your dog as a chew toy, whatever.
Just don't claim the pattern as your own or try to sell it. Give credit where it is due.
Also, if you find any mistakes or have problems following the pattern, please leave a comment on this post and I will do my best to help.
Simply Soft or other worsted weight yarn
Stitches and abbreviations used: The pattern uses US crochet terms.
- Slip stitch (sl st)
- Chain (ch)
- Stitch (st), stitches (sts)
- Skip (sk)
- Treble crochet (tr)
- Shell: (3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr)
- Treble decrease (tr dec): YO twice, insert hook in next st, YO, pull up loop, YO, (pull through 2 loops on hook) twice. Repeat in next st, YO and pull through all 3 loops on hook.
Gauge: Not important for this pattern, just change the number of chains in the last row to make it fit any child-sized head.
- The headband is worked lengthwise from narrow-to-narrow end.
- Row 16 can be altered for fitting. 14-16 chains are what I normally use when I make this pattern. The best way to size it is to try the headband as written and then decide if you want it looser (chain more) or tighter (chain less).
- This headband takes me ~20 minutes to make when I am consistently working. You can make this in one sitting.
- The treble stitches in Row 13 shells are inserted in both ends of the shell, in the top ch space, and the 2 tr on either side of the ch space.
- Shells can also be done (3 tr, ch 1, 3 tr) if desired.
- Ch 4 at beginning of each row counts as 1 tr.
- The top of the shell mentioned is the ch space.
Row 1. Ch 5, tr in 5th ch from hook. (2 tr)
Row 2. Ch 4, turn, tr in same st, tr. (3 tr)
Row 3. Ch 4, turn, tr in same st, tr in next 2 sts. (4 tr)
Row 4. Ch 4, turn, tr in same st, 2 tr in next st, tr in next 2 sts. (6 tr)
Row 5. Ch 4, turn, tr in same st, tr in next 5 sts. (7 tr)
Row 6. Ch 4, turn, sk 3 tr, shell in next tr, tr in last st. (2 tr, 1 shell)
Row 7. Ch 4, turn, tr in same st, shell in top of last row’s shell, 2 tr in last st. (4 tr, 1 shell)
Row 8-9. Ch 4, turn, tr in same st, shell in top of last row’s shell, tr, tr in last st. (4 tr, 1 shell)
Row 10. Ch 4, turn, shell in top of last row’s shell, tr dec. (2 tr, 1 shell)
Row 11. Ch 4, turn, tr in outside st of shell, sk st, tr in next st and ch space, tr in next st, sk st, tr in next 2 sts. (7 tr)
Row 12. Ch 4, turn, tr, tr dec, tr in next 3 sts. (6 tr)
Row 13. Ch 4, turn, tr dec twice, tr. (4 tr)
Row 14. Ch 4, turn, tr dec, tr. (3 tr)
Row 15. Ch 4, turn, tr dec. (2 tr)
Row 16. Ch 14, sl st in 5th ch of Row 1.